Time & Location
Dec 08, 2023, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM EST
Burnsville, Burnsville, NC 28714, USA
About The Event
Join ForestHer NC community member Olivia Ramos for a community work-and-learn day! This will be the first of a two part Learn & Burn series on this property. The first date (Dec 8) we will be using a "pile and burn" method, while also preparing for an understory prescribed burn later in the season. This may include clearing firelines and thinning understory brush.
During this work-and-learn style workshop, the Southern Blue Ridge Prescribed Burn Association will be teaching about prescribed fire in the mountains. People who sign up and attend this work-and-learn day will have first access to sign up for the second prescribed burn day.
- 10:00am - Meet on property in Burnsville, NC (exact addres and directions will be shared via email)
- 10:05am - Welcome and Introductions
- 10:20am - Prescribed Fire in the Mountains, a talk by the Southern Blue Ridge Prescribed Burn Association
- 10:30am - Workplan Logistics: What is "pile and burn" vs "broadcast burn"
- 10:45am - Work/Burn!*
- 12:00pm - Lunch (snacks available, but full lunch not provided)
- 12:30pm - Work/Burn!
- 1:45pm - Wrap Up/Next Steps/Final Questions
- 2:00pm - Work Day Ends
*Please note that Western North Carolina is currently in a burn ban as of 11/14/2023. We will need substantial rain in order to burn on December 8. Burn managers will stay up-to-date on weather information and make sure we are in prescription and it is safe to burn.
A note from ForestHer NC:
As ForestHer NC continues to grow, we are excited to support more landowner-led events. Do you have a project on your land to share or co-create with fellow ForestHers? Let us know if you want to host a gathering on your land and we can help make that happen!
This is the wait list$0.00